Monday, September 27, 2010

I have an addiction…

But really it is ok because this is not a bad addiction. I recently discovered that I have a serious addiction to dun, dun duh…coupon clipping! Did you know that going to the market and saving $58 on your grocery bill could be such a rush? Because it seriously is. You should try it out.
So as you may know, we are coming to the end of week 3 in “No Spend September.” Things are going pretty well, there have been a few things that just couldn’t be avoided. I had book club at the start of the week and we always do a little dinner with our books. I bought some splatter screens for the sake of my stove and my skin (see this post if you don’t think those were a necessity) and okay, maybe I didn’t need that cute fall decoration that I found at Ross, but really I am trying to decorate a home here people!
Anyways, around August I decided I would try my hand at the clipping coupon deal. I never thought I would start coupon clipping yet, Todd and I don’t really eat that much food with just the two of us and all the news specials I would see on TV about coupon clipping usually involved a mother of 8 kids buying 10 gallons of milk to the 11th free. What would I do with 11 gallons of milk? For the most part Todd and I do our shopping at Fresh and Easy. We love this store, I mean REALLY love it. We tried to marry it, but plural marriage is frowned upon in Arizona, who knew? 
I am telling you, you will love this store! If their great prices and no preservatives approach don’t win you over, their weekly coupons will. I even have set up my market schedule to collide with their coupon schedule. (Dear FTC, Fresh and Easy in no way paid me in coupons to write this, although I wish they would.)
Me before my love of coupons...
So it was with a somewhat hesitant heart that I decided to try to take my coupons to the local Fry’s market. This was really a live and learn experience. The first time I went I decided I wanted to bring Todd along…on a Sunday…after church was out for most people. Did you know that Todd doesn’t like women running into him with their shopping carts or children whose father isn’t watching them and letting them run around like a banshee?
Dear father at Frys, please take this to heart.

Let’s just say that by the time we reached the checkout counter I was worried that I would be served with divorce papers if the excruciating trip didn’t produce some serious savings. Alas, I was able to turn Todd’s frown upside down when our $100 bill shrunk down to half of that. I realized I was onto something with this coupon deal.
The second time I decided to do it, I wanted to be organized and able to attack my enemy with surprise. I went at 8 am on Thursday, I love shopping with ladies from the local retirement homes. I also created a spreadsheet to keep myself on task. I know right, Heidi actually did something to be organized. I think Todd must do some crazy organizational spells when I am sleeping at night. They probably include things like “and she will put things away in the fridge like they belong, she will remember to turn off the bathroom light, she will grow to love spreadsheets!!!!”
 Trip two went much-much better. I was able to collect my thoughts in the empty cat food aisle, I got everything I wanted and I saved $58. As I walked out to the car, my adrenaline was pumping. I wanted to show every person my receipt. As I stood there loading my car with my steals and deals with a maniacal smile on my face, I realized how people become addicted to the coupon game. It really is exciting.
I just wend on my third trip this week, $38 dollars saved! I ended up buying 43 items and spending around $53, that is just a little over a dollar per item. After three succesful coupon-clipping grocery trips, I was even able to convince the Hubs that we should get the Sunday paper. I get my first one this Sunday and I am ready to take my market shopping to a whole new saving money level!
Me, now in love with coupons.
Happy shopping friends! We also finished the first enzyme treatment for Nunu and Scioscia so I will updating you on how that whole experience went.
Enjoy your weekend,
-Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment