Monday, September 27, 2010

Jaramillo Pizzaria on a Saturday morning

First off, GO USA!!!! We are just relaxing around the house watching the USA play Ghana in the World Cup. On second though, relaxed isn’t really how I would describe Todd right now.
I was feeling really inspired this morning for breakfast. I started to make a grocery list for our inevitable market trip this weekend and discovered how many half-eaten breakfast foods I had in the fridge. Todd and I are doing the diet thing and the stuff we take in the morning to help suppress our appetites requires that you don’t eat for 3 hours after taking it, this way it can fully be digested. So during the week all our breakfasts have to be easy to pack and re-heat. Eggs and bacon just don’t cut it. I remembered seeing a recipe for a breakfast pizza online and decided that would be best way to keep from wasting food. This is what I had in the fridge; flour in the freezer waiting to go in a canister, cheese nearing its sell-by-date, country gravy from the biscuits and gravy I made last Saturday, green onions from the farmers market that were crying to used, cage-free eggs and the last few strips of a package of bacon. This was going to be good.
First off I had to make some pizza dough. Now, I ended up making 2 batches because if there is something that 100% suck at, it is getting my yeast to activate and my dough to rise. But for the sake of my image, we will just pretend I made one.
Am I the only one who loves the smell of yeast? I will tell you after the first failed attempt at getting my yeast to activate I did a Youtube search to actually see the process and how it should look. The second attempt worked so much better. I didn’t waste my first dough though, it is chilling in the fridge so it might be pizza for dinner this week.
After my yeast got “foamy,” I mixed in my flour, olive oil and salt. Some people like to knead their bread by hand, I have a killer yellow Kitchenaide mixer that came with a bread hook…
What is the point of Christmas presents if you are not going to use them right? I probably let it mix for eight minuets, I really wasn’t paying attention because I was cleaning up. My mom’s voice is with me all the time when I cook, “Clean as you go Heidi and it will be easier end the end.”
Then it was letting the dough raise time ie. Heidi needs to keep herself busy for a while because she is incredibly impatient and won’t stop poking and staring at the dough. I put my dough outside on a chair in the sun, if I live in a place where it is 90 degrees by 9:40 am, I am going to take full advantage of its helping dough raise abilities.  By this time I wasn’t the only impatient person in the house, some over members were starting to get antsy  for breakfast.
I cooked my bacon and eggs while the bread finished raising. I probably could have let it go longer, but I got over waiting and figured I would just have a thin-crust pizza instead. The gravy went on first, then the egg, chopped bacon, green onion and finally the cheese. Maybe a little different from normal pizza makeup, but I worried the gravy and cheese so close could create cheesey-gravy soup. Not what I was going for.
Into the oven it went, 500 degrees for about 15 minuets. I set the timer for 10, but then Todd wanted to shower really quickly, so I let it go another 5. Here is the finished product.
Suck it cold cereal.
It was incredible and extremely filling.
All the best parts of hearty breakfasts in one single bite. Incredible.
Here is the blog I got the recipe from. They just put bacon, cheese and then crack the eggs right over the pizza. I got the gravy idea from some breakfast pizzas my sisters and I used to eat from Schwan’s when we were little.
I hope everyone has a great weekend. I have laundry begging for attention, but can’t seem to remove myself from the couch.
-Mrs.J

No comments:

Post a Comment